It’s all Bill Day’s fault. Bill was one of my dad’s good
friends and the man could do no wrong in my adolescent eyes. Bill was the leader of, what I considered,
the Bellingham “Rat Pack”. His entourage followed his lead, whether on the golf
course or social gathering. Along with
Bill’s dynamic personality he also was quite the dresser, per 1970’s
standards. My goal, as a nine year old,
was to dress like Bill. I figured, even at that age, dressing like Whatcom
County’s Arnold Palmer would give me a leg up. Oh dear, was I wrong.
My mom purchased clothes for me that were best suited for
the 19th hole at the Lake Padden Golf Course. Maroon checked, sun drenched yellow, tree
frog green, you name it I had every imaginable pair of dapper middle aged man
pants tailored to fit a pre-pubescent boy. Where the hell did she find
them? Of course, matching t-shirt was a
requirement. I safely made it through elementary school dressed like my school
principal, or perhaps Shecky Greene.
Looking at grade school class pics I really didn’t stick out…at least
that’s what I’m telling myself. Kids
back then didn’t make fun of you unless you puked in the classroom or peed down
your leg (please note, neither I did). Besides, I grew up in a pretty
economically diverse neighborhood so you saw it all.
Sooooooo, let’s skip ahead to September, the start of
middle school where I missed the first week because my parents made the
“bright” decision to take me to Kauai for a couple weeks. I arrive at the start
of school week two with checkered red and black pants and, what else, a
hibiscus/bird-of-paradise Aloha button down.
Oh, and I had a nice white belt to go with the ensemble (I’m not making
this up). Looking around the 6th
through 8th kids, surprisingly no one else had similar attire. Go figure.
Now you’d think during the next three years I’d force my mom to buy me
clothing a bit more “with it”. Star jeans, no.
Brittania jeans, nope. I’ll stick
with slacks, sansabelt preferably. I did
coerce my parents into purchasing some Adidas white with red stripes tennis
shoes. Least my feet were in style. How I made it through middle school alive is
beyond me. Thankfully there was safe
refuge in the library and Mr. O’Dell’s classroom with ping pong table. I kicked some major ass in ping pong and will
save that for another story.
Enter high school, still no jeans, but moved to cords as
my predominate choice of attire. I don’t know what year I made the call to get
some jeans but did end up with a pair only to be ridiculed because they had
frigging zippers on the pockets, I believe every
pocket. Gawd, I couldn’t even get the
right pair of jeans! I believe I dressed
with “the times” in high school and have dance photos to prove it. Plus, by then Bellingham had a Place Two (Nordstrom
for cities that have a pulp mill as the center of attraction) where I bought my
clothes.
Off to college, Washington State University, where gray
sweat pants were the fashion norm.
Midway through my first semester the guys in my fraternity recommended I
get some Levi jeans. EVERYBODY wears
them. I had no jeans (except for the one with 13 zippers in my drawer at home)
so, during Thanksgiving break, I bought some Levi’s. Back to the fraternity proudly wearing my
jeans only to be told I purchased the wrong Levis. I bought 505’s not 501’s. 505’s have a
zipper, 501’s are button fly. Really? I
screwed up buying Levis? I did eventually
buy the right kind of Levi jeans. The
following year though I made the foray into purchasing Calvin Kleins. My girlfriend at the time said my butt would
look great in Calvin Klein jeans so I had to get me a pair. I have no idea where I bought them but did
return from winter break wearing Calvin Kleins.
I seriously had to question how I looked in them. At that time my weight was about a buck fifty
(150 lbs.). To put it bluntly what ass I
had was molded into the shape of a text book. And this is attractive? My CK’s didn’t do it for me. To this day I’m one and done with anything
Calvin Klein.
Off to my 20’s and 30’s where, I think, my pant
selections worked. The only significant
complaint came from my current wife who had an issue with me wearing khaki
pants with running t-shirts. I’m a
comfort over style kinda guy and it worked for me.
Now I’m in my 40’s + 10+ and currently dealing with the
following pant problems:
·
Pleated pants are OUT! I made the move to non-pleated a couple years
ago, thanks to Banana Republic, my “go to” store for clothing. The problem is, I’ve had trouble getting rid
of my pleated pants. There’s been a lot of history made wearing them. I’ve managed to cull them down to maybe one
or two pairs but I still have a couple…in case they come back in style. Sorry.
·
I read something recently where if you’re over a
male over the age of 50 you shouldn’t wear jeans. What the ____! Now what do I do with my stylish jeans?
·
I fortunately work with someone who knows more
about fashion than Yves St. Laurent (I’ve found throwing something French into
my writings makes me sound really smart).
Whenever I purchase a new pair of pants and get a “two thumbs up” from
Michael I know I made a good decision.
Finally, one other pant issue I’ve had for eons. Pant sizes typically come in even #s, 30, 32,
34, etc., both in waist and length.
Those #s don’t work for me. My
perfect pant dimensions = 31-33. Odd #s,
sorta fits don’t cha think?
No comments:
Post a Comment