While standing in line the other day @ Starbucks I was
confronted with a “should I or shouldn’t I” dilemma.
After dropping off a CD at Skyline High School, I stopped by
one of 27 Starbucks on the Sammamish Plateau. This particular Starbucks is a
couple blocks away from Columbia Athletic Club, and I use the word “club”
loosely, considering I could join this “exclusive” organization. As Groucho Marx said, “I wouldn’t join any
club that would have someone like me as a member”. I digress. Back on track. I’m in line with two gals in front of me who
appeared to be coming from the club. A
good guess considering they were wearing work out gear, glistening with sweat, quite
fit, and craving caffeine, not that I was looking or anything.
The woman ordering, we’ll call her Sweaty Woman A (SWA),
while paying, drops, what I thought was a headband or bandana. The chivalrous thing for me to do would have been
to politely walk around Sweaty Woman B (SWB), and pick up said article of
clothing. I refrained for fear of losing
my place in line. SWA pays and walks
around the large counter to wait for her skinny, no foam, triple shot, extra
hot whatever. SWB steps forward, looks
down and begins laughing. She then leans
over the counter and whispers to the cashier.
The cashier laughs and whispers something to a co-worker. 10 seconds
later the co-worker is rounding the counter with a broom and dust pan to sweep
up (now my light comes on) what is, not a headband or bandana but, a lovely wadded
up multicolored thong.
Which leads me to a multitude of questions: Is it common for
women to carry sweaty thongs around in their purses? What would the reaction of SWA have been if I
picked up her undergarment? Better yet,
what would I have done if I, while holding one of Victoria Secret’s finest,
realized I’m now clutching a woman’s thong while standing in line in a busy
coffee shop? What would SWB think of me
doing an end around her to pick up a thong? “What a perv”! I used to call, what
are now called flip flops, thongs. When
did the name change?
Considering I live in a household with three women I’ve washed
and folded about 60,000 pairs of women’s underwear. I am no stranger to underwear. I should have been more perceptive from the
beginning realizing what I was looking at but it’s sort of like seeing a
chicken running through a movie theatre; you just don’t expect to see it. Which leads to more questions: why fold
women’s underwear, especially thongs?
It’s not as if they come in pairs and you have to match them. Folding adds no value to their appearance. Do
we fold jock straps? Can I skip this
delicate procedure and move on to more trying articles of clothing to fold,
like sweatshirts and towels?
Did I do the right thing by avoiding the situation and
merrily go on my way and order my grande drip?
I’m guessing yes, but in the unlikely event this comes up again, may
have to, at a minimum, go for the gold and pick up what falls from “Grace”…or
whatever her name may be.
No comments:
Post a Comment